Building dreams takes lots of behind-the-scenes work from dedicated volunteers. We have a variety of ways that community members can get engaged with us, no tool belt needed.
Specialized Volunteer Opportunities
Supervisor: Loretta Kelly, Lending and Compliance Manager
Timeframe: Ongoing volunteer commitment, infrequent hours as needed
Habitat for Humanity Portland Region t is moving to a permanently affordable homeownership model for all its homes starting in 2019. All Habitat homes will be affordable not only to the first homebuyer, but to subsequent buyers in the future. An Affordability Covenant is recorded against each home to assure permanent affordability. Our partner, Proud Ground will manage the resale of the homes.
Habitat believes that it is important for homebuyers to review the affordability documents with a “disinterested third party” who is able to answer questions about the documents. Habitat is looking for attorneys who will review the Affordability Covenant, along with the Warranty Deed and the Trust Deed with the homebuyers.
Generally, this meeting will last approximately 90 minutes. Some Habitat homebuyers do not speak English. Habitat/Proud Ground will provide an interpreter for those homebuyers that request one. Interpretation services may add 15 minutes to this timeframe.
Habitat and Proud Ground staff will provide an overview of the documents and answer any questions for the attorneys before any meetings with homebuyers.
- Review permanent affordability documents, typically an affordability covenant, warranty deed and trust deed, with homebuyers
- Answer homebuyer questions about the affordability documents
- Sign review document stating that you reviewed the documents with the homebuyers
- Familiarity with Oregon Real Estate and Condominium law
- Willingness to work with first time homebuyers
- Willingness to work with homebuyers needing interpreters
- Ongoing volunteer commitment, partnership of one year or more
Please submit a statement regarding why you are interested in volunteering at Habitat for Humanity and your resume with related experience to Loretta Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer Attorney” in the subject, or call 503.287.9529 x 34 with questions.
We’re happy to answer any questions you have.